An infectious disease caused by a newly discovered coronavirus.
What symptoms does it cause?
- Fever and cough most commonly.
- Tiredness, shortness of breath, aches and pains, sore throat.
- Less commonly diarrhoea and a runny nose, a range of other symptoms possible.
- Many other diseases cause these symptoms too.
- Most people have mild symptoms and recover without treatment, but older people and those with medical problems with medical problems like heart disease, diabetes, and lung disease are more likely to become seriously unwell.
How is it spread?
- Through droplets from the mouth or nose of someone with the infection reaching another person’s eyes, mouth or nose.
- Directly or from surfaces touched.
How is it treated?
- Most people do not need treatment.
- At the moment there is no specific treatment that helps, such as antiviral medication, but there are studies ongoing.
- Supportive treatment like paracetamol can be used at home, and if people need to be admitted to hospital they may be given oxygen and breathing support.