- Listen (to what is being said)
- Clarify (be sure that the information you are receiving, is correct)
- Be respectful, culturally aware and empathetic
- Be patient
- Remain neutral (but attentive)
- Reflect back on what you have heard (to check for accuracy)
It is important to be culturally aware when you interview as culture can define how and when we seek healthcare, how we take care of our sick family members and how we live (which maybe close family contact through close living quarters). All of these things can play an important role in the health of the individual and their family.
Being neutral is about refraining from judgement of the person you are talking to, their situation and those they have interacted with. Your role is to listen attentively without judgement.